Fairy Heatlie
Full names: Barry Heatlie
Date of birth: 25 Apr 1872
Place of birth: Worcester
School: Diocesan College (Bishops)
Springbok no: 22
Debut test province: Western Province
Physical: 1.92m, 94.8kg
Date of death: 19 Aug 1949 (Age 77)

Test summary: Tests: 6 Tries: 0
First Test: 29 Aug 1891 Age:19 Forward against Britain at Eclectic Cricket Ground, Kimberley
Last Test: 12 Sep 1903 Age:31 Forward against Britain at Newlands, Cape Town
Test history:
29 Aug 189119ForwardBritainLose: 0-3 Eclectic Cricket Ground, KimberleyWP
05 Sep 189119ForwardBritainLose: 0-4 Newlands, Cape TownWP
30 Jul 189624ForwardBritainLose: 0-8 Crusaders (St George's Park), Port ElizabethWP
05 Sep 189624Forward (C)BritainWin: 5-0 Newlands, Cape TownWP
29 Aug 190331ForwardBritainDraw: 10-102 conversionsWanderers, JohannesburgWP
12 Sep 190331Forward (C)BritainWin: 8-01 conversionNewlands, Cape TownWP

Fairy Heatlie : Doc Craven

Barry Heatlie Heatlie, to give his full name, was born on the farm Glen Heatlie near Worcester on the 25th April, 1872.

One of nine brothers he was sent to the Diocesan College (Bishops) at the age of sixteen and for the first time handled a rugby ball.

Two years later, in 1890, he played for Western Province against Griquas, on Rondebosch Common and the year after that represented South Africa against the . touring 1891 British Isles. He played his last game of rugby in the Argentina at the age of 43 when he broke some ribs and decided to call it a day. He retained his passionate interest in the game, however, until his death on the 19th of August, 1951 after being struck by a car.

During his career Heatlie played for Western Province 34 times, 28 of which were consecutive wins. He also captained Western Province from 1894 until 1904 excepting for 1898. Bishops, Gardens, Old Diocesans, Villagers and South Africa all fell under this remarkable man's captaincy.

Heatlie was a big man, standing 6 ft 2 in, broad shouldered and weighing almost invariably around 210 lbs. In the first test against the 1903 British Isles in South Africa he kicked two remarkable conversions. Chosen for the second test, he elected to return home for his son's birth.

Oubaas Markotter, not a man given to praise, had this to say: "Heatlie - I played with and against him - is the greatest all-round forward South Africa has produced. I am inclined to put his name down as the best captain ever to lead a Springbok side."

After captaining South Africa for the first time in 1896, Heatlie again captained the side against the 1903 British Isles and would certainly have been on the 1906/07 tour to Britain but for being involved in an embezzlement matter and having to leave Cape Town in a hurry. Legend has it that, to escape the law, he was rowed out to a ship in Table Bay, some say by members of Villagers, others maintain it was Malay supporters of the club.

Heatlie was to remain in the Argentina for twenty years and after having repaid all, or virtually all the monies he had misappropriated, he returned to South Africa in 1925 - a sad episode in the life of an obviously great man.